*This is a collaborative post*
This is the time of the year when you can muster enough time from your busy schedules to shop! If you’ve bought a fresh pair of shoes, this blog will be a lifesaver in the future. Before you wear them out for the first time, it’s best that you break them in properly. Not only are new shoes notorious for causing blisters and shoe bites, but can also be uncomfortable to walk in. Whether the latest pair were a gift by friends, or you’ve bought them for yourselves, following the tips below will help you be ultra comfortable when you wear them out for long hours. Without any stalling, let’s get right into the steps of breaking your new shoes in the quickest time possible.
- Protect the sensitive areas: There are several zones on your feet that have thinner skin than the rest of your body. Not only are these areas prone to chafing easily, but the friction can also give you painful blisters. Wearing stiletto heels especially can cause the balls of your feet to peel in the weeks succeeding a festive night. If this is something you’ve experienced before, it’s time to take some preventive measures. Get adhesive get pads and foot cushions to cover these sensitive zones on your feet. These may comprise the back of your feet, between the toes, or the corners that touch the edges of the shoes. Using bandaids can also be a great DIY that prevents friction burns.
- Wear thick socks: When you’ve tried everything from bandaids to foot insoles and pads to help your shoes fit well to no avail, this technique will work. One of the best ways to break into shoes properly for long walks is by wearing the thickest pair of socks you own. Walking with fluffy socks and new shoes will stretch out tight footwear to mold around your feet, giving it better shape and dimension. Do this every day for some time until the shoes feel nice and soft around your feet without the socks on.
- Use a heat gun or blow dryer: Heat is also one of the best ways to stretch out PVC and microplastic-based shoes. If the material seems a little too tight, wear your shoes with socks and apply some heat around the material with a blow dryer. The heat will gently expand the material to fit you just right. This method may not work with fabric-based shoes. However, leather and other materials that soften with heat will be a breeze to fix.
- Use the freezing technique: Another useful trick to use instead of heat is this nifty trick of using ice. If you’re on a tight schedule and need to expand your shoes just a little bit overnight, get a couple of ice bags and stuff them into the shoes. Place the pair into the freezer for a few hours and take them out along with the bags. Wipe them off with a dry cloth to catch any moisture and try them on! Your shoes should fit you comfortably.
- Soak them in water: This may be an alarming tip for those who haven’t tried it yet, but water is a great way to help you break into a pair of new shoes. If you have a pair of new leather heels that just won’t cooperate, this tip will be a lifesaver for those last-minute fittings. All you need to do is wear the heels and submerge both your feet into a bucket of warm water for a few minutes. Once the leather softens, you can remove your feet from the bucket and pat dry the leather with a towel. However, leave some moisture on and walk around in these shoes for two hours. You’ll notice how the shoes will dry by contouring your feet to perfection.
- Use petroleum jelly or cocoa butter: The last tip to soften the edges of formal shoes and heels is to use a lubricant. There are several anti-friction products sold but are unnecessarily expensive. Instead, take some petroleum jelly and rub it on the edge and inside the shoe to soften these areas.
Good quality shoes are expensive, which is why casting them aside for discomfort may be a difficult decision. Thankfully, if the shoes run a bit too tight or do not shape your feet correctly, there are ways to rectify them. Using the techniques above can help you immensely, by saving your dollars and pain! We hope that this blog gives you positive results with every method and you’re able to wear your favorite new pair of shoes comfortably in record time!