Dairy free buttercream is a tricky thing to get right and I’ve failed plenty of times. Trying to get the flavour right and the consistency perfect is hard work, especially when you’re not an expert baker. But a few days ago I made buttercream so good, I couldn’t wait to share it with you. The below quantities should make enough for 12 cupcakes.
If you’re looking for easy cake recipes check out my Vegan Crazy Cupcakes, Monster Vegan Cupcakes, or Chocolate Sponge Cake. I promise no one will know they are free from anyone, and they don’t require much baking skill!
Dairy Free Buttercream
- 70g dairy free butter – I used Vitalite
- 70g Trex
- 280g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1-2 tbsp alternative milk
- 1 tbsp Golden Syrup
- food colouring if required, I like Wilton Icing Colour Gel Pastes
- Beat the butter using an electric whisk until soft
- Slowly add the icing sugar a few tbsps at a time
- Add the vanilla essence, golden syrup and the milk (if required), until you reach your preferred consistency
- Add your food colouring. If using the gels you need the teeniest tiniest amount so add it slowly
- Pipe or spread onto your favourite cupcakes, use to decorate a homemade cake or just eat with a spoon!