Easter isn’t Easter without chocolate nests and they are very simple to make dairy free. I like using weetabix for these dairy free Easter egg nests because I think it looks more ‘nest-like’, but you could use cornflakes or a mixture of the two. Any dairy free chocolate will work for this recipe, dark or a ‘milk’ like Moo Free. I have used Chocolate & Love 80% which is dairy and soya free and a little of their orange flavour dark chocolate to add a different taste. The addition of golden syrup really adds a nice texture to these nests, and makes them a little chewier and delicious. Obviously traditional nests usually hold chocolate mini eggs but for dairy free nests we have to be a little more inventive. In the past I’ve used non-edible yellow chicks, daisy wafers or marshmallows. This time I decided to use the Jelly Beans which I think look great!
The Chocolate & Love bars and The Jelly Bean Factory Jelly Beans were very kindly sent to me by the Fairtrade Foundation in celebration of Fairtrade Fortnight 27th February – 12th March 2017 and helped me create these delicious dairy free Easter egg nests.
Dairy Free Easter Egg Nests
- 75g dairy free butter (we use Vitalite)
- 250g dairy free chocolate – melted
- 100g Weetabix
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- Melt the dairy free butter and combine it with the melted chocolate and golden syrup
- Crumble in the weetabix and mix really well until it is all covered by the chocolate mixture
- Spoon into cupcake cases and gently make a little well in the middle
- Add the jelly beans and chill